1. To try to oppose it and prevent the one doing the backbiting.
Read this hadith and see how Muadh bin Jabal defended his fellow brother when people say bad things about him.
Military Expeditions led by the Prophet (pbuh) (Al-Maghaazi)
Bukhari :: Book 5 :: Volume 59 :: Hadith 702
Narrated Abdullah bin Kab bin Malik:
Allah’s Apostle did not remember me till he reached Tabuk. So while he was sitting amongst the people in Tabuk, he said, ‘What did Ka’b do?’ A man from Banu Salama said, ‘O Allah’s Apostle! He has been stopped by his two Burdas (i.e. garments) and his looking at his own flanks with pride.’ Then Mu’adh bin Jabal said, ‘What a bad thing you have said! By Allah! O Allahs Apostle! We know nothing about him but good.’ Allah’s Apostle kept silent.”
What did the Prophet sallallahu alaihi wasalam said about those who defend his brother
General Behavior (Kitab Al-Adab)
Dawud :: Book 41 : Hadith 4865
Narrated Mu’adh ibn Anas:
The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: If anyone guards a believer from a hypocrite, Allah will send an angel who will guard his flesh on the Day of Resurrection from the fire of Jahannam; but if anyone attacks a Muslim saying something by which he wishes to disgrace him, he will be restrained by Allah on the bridge over Jahannam till he is acquitted of what he said.
Defending our brother against backbiting and slandering will earn us an angel who will guard us against the fire, Insya Allah.
2. If you are not able to prevent him, you should get up and leave the gathering.
What if you are the one who likes to backbite
AFter these series of lessons we must really sit down and reflect whether we are among those who backbite/ slander
1. Reflect on the severe punishment awaiting for those who backbite. the scratching on the face and chest using copper nails. The tortures in the grave. The transfer of good deeds to those whom you backbite and the possibility of takingt the person’s bad deeds. The crushing hellfire. Then weight a the short enjoyment of backbiting someone in dunya compared to the pain of even one second to any of these tortures.
2. Repent and seek the forgiveness of the victim, if this is possible without any chance of vicious consequences; otherwise, you must implore God’s mercy for the victim.
3. Gather all your strength and make promise to yourself to guard your tongue. Be fully watchful of yourself, steadfastly vigilant, calling yourself to account. Prepare yourself with pointers concerning the deen perhaps a hadith, a verse to reflect or seerah to narrate to your friends. Insya Allah with big effort and dua’ you will be able to control it.
4. Backbiting often results from a weakness our own soul. Perhaps our own inferiority complex. Try to discover our own weakness and find its remedy.
This is part of the continuation of the lesson Suratul Humazah which was covered HERE.
Relevant posts on suratul Humazah covered by us is Backbiting and Slandering covered HERE.
We also covered short seerahs on wealthy sahabah such to give examples to the children of the wealthy sahabah, who are infact the best of the best, among the ten promised jannah, May Allah have mercy on them. That one can have wealth but not be among those described in Suratul Humazah. What kind of characters do they have that Allah has put favour on them?
– Abdur Rahman bin Awf.
1. Guarding the tongue – Golden Advice series Darussalam