After reciting the Ta’weeth (Seeking refuge against the shaytan), recite Bismillah quietly.
Muslim :: Book 4 : Hadith 786
Anas reported: I observed prayer along with the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) and with Abu Bakr, Umar and Uthman (may Allah be pleased with all of them), but I never heard any one of them reciting Bismillah-ir-Rahman-ir-Rahim loudly.
1. Recite Bismillah quietly.
Reciting the Fatehah
Bukhari :: Book 1 :: Volume 12 :: Hadith 710
Narrated Anas bin Malik:
The Prophet, Abu Bakr and ‘Umar used to start the prayer with “Al-hamdu lil-lahi Rabbil-‘ala-min (All praises are for Allah the Lord of the Worlds).”
Dawud :: Book 3 : Hadith 822
Narrated Ubadah ibn as-Samit:
We were behind the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) at the dawn prayer, and he recited (the passage), but the recitation became difficult for him. Then when he finished, he said: Perhaps you recite behind your imam? We replied: Yes, it is so, Apostle of Allah. He said: Do not do so except when it is Fatihat al-Kitab, for he who does not recite it is not credited with having prayed.
1. Reciting surah Al Fatehah is a pillar of solah.
2. Leaving it invalidates a prayer.
When following behind the imam, The scholars differe in opinions regarding reciting fatehah.
1. Obligatory to listen to loud recitation of imam and only recite Al-Fatihah in the last 2 silent raka’ah. The scholars based on the verse Al A’araf 7: 204
So, when the Qur’ân is recited, listen to it, and be silent that you may receive mercy.
Thus the need to be silent and listen to the quran recitation by the imam.
2. Obligatory to recite your own Al-Fatihah in all raka’ah after the imam finishes his recitation of Al-Fatihah This is based on the hadith narrated by Ubada bin As Samit, Allah’s Messenger sallallahu alahi wasalam said, “There is no solat for him who does not recite Ummul Quran.”
Thus the scholars used this hadith to show that everyone must read Al Fatehah. First by listening to the imam’s recitation (as the above fatwa) and then to continue to recite it yourself.
This is also the strongest opinion
3. Must remain silent no matter what. Some scholars said that the maamum’s Fatehah wuld be the imam fatehah in both the loud recitation and the slow recitation.
(I am sorry for not firmly knowing who the scholars are. May we be guided.)
How do you advice to someone who does not know how to recite fatehah to pray?
Alhamdulillah, this is taught to us by the Prophet sallallahu alaihi wasalam
Narrated by Abdullah bin Abi Aufa, A man came to the prophet sallallahu alaii wasalam said, “I cannot memorise anything from the quran, so teach me something which can be a substitute for me.” He said,”say Subhanallah walhamdulillah wa lailaha illallah wallahu akbar, wa la hawla wala quwwata illa billah al adheem.
1. Only for those who still cannot recite fatehah they can substitute with
i. Tasbih – Subhanallah
ii. Tahmid – Alhamdulillah
iii. Tahlil – Lailaha illallah
iv. takbir – Allahu Akbar
v. La hawla wala quwata illa billahi adzeem
1. Al Bulugh al Maram
2. Prayer according to the sunnah – Darussalam publication