Story telling time.
1. Story of the debate between prophet Ibrahim a.s. and the King Nimrood.
Have you not looked at him who disputed with Ibrâhim (Abraham) about his Lord (Allâh), because Allâh had given him the kingdom? When Ibrâhim (Abraham) said (to him): “My Lord (Allâh) is He Who gives life and causes death.” He said, “I give life and cause death.” Ibrâhim (Abraham) said, “Verily! Allâh causes the sun to rise from the east; then cause it you to rise from the west.” So the disbeliever was utterly defeated. And Allâh guides not the people, who are Zâlimûn (wrong-doers). (2:258)
- King Nimrood claimed that he can grant life and cause death whenever he wishes.
- Nimrood gave a shallow argument on the concept of giving life and death.
- Allah is Al Muhyi. He can give life to his creation out of nothing and Al Mumit, can take the life away from him. And resurrects everyone again.
- By simply killing someone and claiming this is Lordship does not make someone the Al Mumit.
2. The Story of Uzayr
Or like the one who passed by a town and it had tumbled over its roofs. He said: “Oh! How will Allâh ever bring it to life after its death?” So Allâh caused him to die for a hundred years, then raised him up (again). He said: “How long did you remain (dead)?” He (the man) said: “(Perhaps) I remained (dead) a day or part of a day”. He said: “Nay, you have remained (dead) for a hundred years, look at your food and your drink, they show no change; and look at your donkey! And thus We have made of you a sign for the people. Look at the bones, how We bring them together and clothe them with flesh”. When this was clearly shown to him, he said, “I know (now) that Allâh is Able to do all things.” (2:259)
And the Jews say: ‘Uzair (Ezra) is the son of Allâh, and the Christians say: Messiah is the son of Allâh. That is their saying with their mouths, resembling the saying of the those who disbelieved aforetime. Allâh’s Curse be on them, how they are deluded away from the truth! (9:30)
Highlight p.530 – 534
1. Who was the one who took away Uzayr’s life?
2. Who was the one who gave hi life back and his donkey after 100 years?
3. Did Uzayr claim he has power to give life to himself?
4. Did he also claim that he is the son of Allah?
5. Who gave him the wisdom to remember the tawrah?
Lessons learnt from the story of Prophet Uzayr.
- In this story, Uzayr witnessed for himself how Allah resurrects him and his donkey after 100 years of death.
- He went to his town but never did he claim that he is the Lord and has special powers.
- In fact he helped wrote down torah, which people have lost.
- But the Children of Israel, instead of seeing the sign of Allah’s might and power called him the son of Allah.
3. The story of Prophet Ibrahim a.s. and the birds
And (remember) when Ibrâhim (Abraham) said, “My Lord! Show me how You give life to the dead.” He (Allâh) said: “Do you not believe?” He [Ibrâhim (Abraham)] said: “Yes (I believe), but to be stronger in Faith.” He said: “Take four birds, then cause them to incline towards you (then slaughter them, cut them into pieces), and then put a portion of them on every hill, and call them, they will come to you in haste. And know that Allâh is All-Mighty, All-Wise.” (2: 260)
1. Who did Prophet Ibrahim a.s. ask to resurrect the dead birds?
2. Who has the power to give life and take life away?
Lessons learnt form the story of Prophet ibrahim alaihisalam
- The Quran’ narrates us the story of how easy it is for Allah to resurrect any dead things. He is the Al Muhyi
- Be like Prophet Ibrahim alaihisalam who after witnessing the resurrection of the birds, his faith become even stronger.
- Allah is the one who gives life and the one who takes life.
4. The story of Prophet Musa alaihi salam and the cow
Al Baqarah 2:67-73
And (remember) when Mûsa (Moses) said to his people: “Verily, Allâh commands you that you slaughter a cow.” They said, “Do you make fun of us?” He said, “I take Allâh’s Refuge from being among Al-Jâhilûn (the ignorants or the foolish).” (67) They said, “Call upon your Lord for us that He may make plain to us what it is!” He said, “He says, ‘Verily, it is a cow neither too old nor too young, but (it is) between the two conditions’, so do what you are commanded.” (68)They said, “Call upon your Lord for us to make plain to us its colour.” He said, “He says, ‘It is a yellow cow, bright in its colour, pleasing to the beholders.’ ” (69) They said, “Call upon your Lord for us to make plain to us what it is. Verily to us all cows are alike, And surely, if Allâh wills, we will be guided.” (70) He [Mûsa (Moses)] said, “He says, ‘It is a cow neither trained to till the soil nor water the fields, sound, having no other colour except bright yellow.’ ” They said, “Now you have brought the truth.” So they slaughtered it though they were near to not doing it. (71) And (remember) when you killed a man and fell into dispute among yourselves as to the crime. But Allâh brought forth that which you were hiding. (72) So We said: “Strike him (the dead man) with a piece of it (the cow).” Thus Allâh brings the dead to life and shows you His Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) so that you may understand. (73)
Highlight p. 434-436
1. Who brought the dead man to life?
2. Thus Allah brings the dead to life and shows you His signs so that you understand. Allah can bring the dead person’s back to life, similarly He will bring back His slaves to life on the day of judgment.
Lessons learnt from the story of Prophet Musa alaihisalam and the cow
- Allah shows sign to the children of Israel how He can give life to a dead man (and revealing the murderer).
- This sign should make the children of Israel have fear of Allah that He will resurrect all of us back to life to be questioned, but if we following the following ayah, it shows just how stubborn they were/ are.
5. The mukjizat of Prophet Isa alayhisalam.
Al Imran 3:49
And will make him [‘Īsā (Jesus)] a Messenger to the Children of Israel (saying): “I have come to you with a sign from your Lord, that I design for you out of clay, a figure like that of a bird, and breathe into it, and it becomes a bird by Allâh’s Leave; and I heal him who was born blind, and the leper, and I bring the dead to life by Allâh’s Leave. And I inform you of what you eat, and what you store in your houses. Surely, therein is a sign for you, if you believe. (3: 49)
Highlights p. 574-576
1. Among the miracles of Prophet Isa alaihisalam
- designed a clay bird and blew life into it and it became a bird
- heal those who are born blind
- heal the leper
- bring the dead to life
- informing what you eat and what you have store at home.
2. Who gave him all these miracles?
3. Did Prophet Isa alaihisalam said he is the one who cures sickness? Or he is the one who has power to give life?
4. Did he say he is the Lord of mankind or he is the son of Allah?
5. he said these are all signs from Allah for those who believe.
Lessons learnt from the Prophet Isa alaihis salam Miracles
- Among his miracles are he can raise the dead to life
- But never once he claim that he is the Lord nor is he the son of the Lord.
- The miracles are all by the will of Allah
6. The warning of Dajjal and one of his greatest fitnah
Taken from The Minor resurrection by Umar S Al Ashqar p.274-277
The Messenger of Allah salallahu alaihi wassalam said:
Part of his fitnah will be that he will say to a bedouin, “Do you think that if I resurrect your father and mother for you, you will bear witness that I am your lord?”. he will say, “Yes”. Then, a form of his father and mother will appear, and will say, “My son, follow him, and he is your lord.”
1. The Dajjal will claim that he has the power to give life.
2. This fitnah will be so great for all of us because what seem to be our parents verifying that he is the truth and the lord to be obeyed.
3. the Dajjal uses shaytan to imitate our loved ones. We all have qareen who can imitate our look and know many things about us. And thus dajjal use this to imitate our parents.
3. Remember who is the one who gives you life and who is the one who can take it.
7. The Man who will challenge Dajjal p. 275-277
Bukhari :: Book 3 :: Volume 30 :: Hadith 106
Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri:
Allah’s Apostle told us a long narrative about Ad-Dajjal, and among the many things he mentioned, was his saying, “Ad-Dajjal will come and it will be forbidden for him to pass through the entrances of Medina. He will land in some of the salty barren areas (outside) Medina; on that day the best man or one of the best men will come up to him and say, ‘I testify that you are the same Dajjal whose description was given to us by Allah’s Apostle .’ Ad-Dajjal will say to the people, ‘If I kill this man and bring him back to life again, will you doubt my claim?’ They will say, ‘No.’ Then Ad-Dajjal will kill that man and bring him back to life. That man will say, ‘Now I know your reality better than before.’ Ad-Dajjal will say, ‘I want to kill him but I cannot.’ “
1. We are told by the Prophet sallalahhu alaihi wassalam to flee away from dajjal for he will be the greatest fitnah on all of us. Even if we are sure of ourself for we don’t know how dajjal is able to shake our faith. may Allah protect all of us from the fitnah of dajjal.
2. but there will come a man among us who will challenge dajjal.
3. despite being “killed” by dajjal, his faith remained intact infact increases even more because he knows who can truly give him life and who is the one who takes one’s life.
Lessons learnt from knowing some of the Dajjal’s fitna.
- Dajjal claim he is the one who can give life to those who are dead
- And he claimed Lordship for himself
Lessons learnt from this alaqah
- Look back at Nimrood. he also claimed Lordship for himself.
- We don’t know whether Allah will give us signs through one of us like how He gave to Uzayr but no one has the right to claim Lordship from among us.
- Allah is the One who is Al Muhyi ad Al Mumit.
- He is the one who gives every living being life and He is the one who takes it back.
- And no one, no one can ever claim that He has the power to do so. Even e goes on spree killing people. But it is by the will of Allah that these people die. And as for Dajjal, it is also by the will of Allah that He allows him to raise the dead.
May we be able to tell the truth from the false. May Allah protect us from these fitna.
1. Tafsir Ibn Kathir
2. Stories of the Prophets by Ibn Kathir
3. The Major Resurrection – Dr. Umar S Al Ashqar.