Sheikh Uthaymeen said in the last part of the hadith
verily one of you performs the actions of the people of Paradise until there is but an arms length between him and it, and that which has been written overtakes him, and so he acts with the actions of the people of the Hellfire and thus enters it; and verily one of you performs the actions of the people of the Hellfire, until there is but an arms length between him and it, and that which has been written overtakes him and so he acts with the actions of the people of Paradise and thus he enters it.
This is for those who perform good deeds which are displayed to people, but in reality his innermost thoughts are filthy and has corrupt intention. Thus finally the corrupt intention will overtake him until he has a misfortune ending. And we seek Allah’s refuge from that.
The latter part of hadith emphasises the importance of one’s final deeds. An important lesson to learn is
1. we cannot judge the outer appearance whether a person is destined to Jannah or hell.
eg. of a story of seemingly doing good deed are the hypocrites. Also during one of the war, a companion showed great zealous of killing the enemy, and he was receiving praises by many. But Prophet Muhammad s.a.w. observed, “He is among the people of Hellfire.”. Later on theman was injured and he became impatient with his injury and killed himself.
Thus it may appear that one is doing good deed among people, but only Allah knows the rue motivation.
Also what seem to be the best of deeds may be invalidated in the sight of Allah if the person is seeking world recognition and praises instead of His acceptance.
1. Do not judge a person by their good/ bad deeds.
2. However we can always encourage one to do good deed and remind one another to have niyah to please Allah.
3. When you see a bad deed, protest as much as you can. The very least is not to agree with the bad deed in your heart. To detest it. And to ask Allah to show the person guidance.
4. We must put our utmost effort to continously do good deeds for the sake of Allah.
5. Seek refuge from Allah from a misfortune ending.
Understanding the human components
1. We have aqal – intellect
So we can distinguish between good and evil.
2. Al Fitrah – natural disposition. Allah creates everyone with this innate to enable us to love what is good and hate evil. We can however change due to environment, background, upbringing and friends
3. Willingness and power -Allah provides us with both. We cannot do something unless we are willing to do and have power t do it. We have a freewill to choose.
4. Desires (shahawat) – which will manipulates willingness towards either good or bad.
Let’s use all these components to the best we can by
1. Get closer to Allah by having knowledge.
2. Through knowledge we can know what is evil, what is bad, what is to be avoided.
3. Through knowledge what Allah is please with us on.
4. Control our desire by channeling our activities to a more alternative activity. For eg. the want to have a boyfriend/ girlfriend. keep oneself busy with activities like martial arts, school, memorising quran, social activities etc.
5. Ask Allah for tawfiq
May Allah guides us all.